Monday, September 28, 2009

RONNIEISMS

WHAT IS THAT NOISE? A few weeks ago I picked up my friend and neighbor Milt in my Chrysler Van. We were going to a SMART MEN breakfast at the HERITAGE CENTER OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER that features someone from the sports world as a speaker. Today's speaker was Dayton Moore, GM of the KC Royals. As we headed toward the breakfast I heard this beeping noise while driving. I asked Milt if he heard it and he responded with a "no, I don't hear anything." I should explain that he is a little hard of hearing and wears hearing aids. I told him that after the meeting I would have to take my van into Chrysler to find out where that noise might be coming from. I turned off the radio but still heard this faint beeping sound almost like a cricket. We got to the breakfast and as Mr. Moore was giving his talk I started to hear the beeping noise again. I looked all around the room but saw no sign of anyone else hearing the sound. Most of the other guys at our table were also no help since most of them were also slightly hearing impared. Now, I was seriously starting to worry that I too was starting to have a medical problem concerning the continuos beeping since it was I alone that heard it. As we were heading home I heard it constantly in the van and told Milt that I was going to call my Doctor when I got home to see if I could get an immediate appointment and get checked out. Just as I was about to call my Dr. the phone rings and it's my friend Milt. "Have you called your Dr. yet?, he screams. "No, I was just about to do it" I answered. "Well don't, I just found my hearing aids in my pocket and I guess the batteries were low and that's the beeping you heard". After we both stopped laughing I asked him how he heard what Dayton Moore was saying. "I didn't" he replied, "I just thought he was speaking too low." I had noticed a few times that Milt's eyes were closed during the presentation but that wasn't too unusual when he got comfortable. Now, whenever I ask someone to repeat what they said, all I hear is " are you hearing the beeping again?"

No comments: