Friday, October 2, 2009

RONNIEISMS

I've come to realize that sports dominates my yearly calendar. I'm a devout KC Royals fan no matter how bad they play. I try to watch or listen to every game and naturally I hope that I will still be around when they make the playoffs again. This Saturday is their last game of the season and Zack is pitching, a fitting end to what could have been a great season except for injuries as the manager describes it.  Watching Billy Butler become a premier hitter and set new records has been one of the few positives during the season and naturally, watching Zack do his magic and hopefully win the Cy Young Award. I don't know the actual number of games he left with the Royals ahead only to lose but I'm sure he would have over 20 wins by now. Oh well, always next season.
So now football takes over, the KC Chiefs and  watching them embarass themselves to a national audience, but I'm still a fan which still gives me the right to complain when they screw up or cheer when they might win a game.
My real love is KU. I really enjoy their football team and believe that this could be one of their best seasons. I must explain though that I'm really a Big 12 fan and cheer for all of the teams except when they play KU. My second favorite is MU and I hope they have a great season so my friend Bernard will continue to smile. When the two teams play, we may have to have a wager on the outcome.
KU basketball is my ultimate sports team and when they play my days are counted by their games. I become totally immersed when they play and I just about shut out the rest of the world. Thankfully because of my KU basketball world, my wife has also become a fan and watches with me. She however, cannot sit next to me because of my body movements which are uncontrolled and could be harmful if an elbow happens to follow a dunk. Can't wait until their season starts.
College basketball ends with March madness and then baseball starts all over again.

I guess my wife is right except she is still my number one reason for being.

No comments: