Monday, December 21, 2009

RONNIEISMS


WONDER OF WONDERS
Yesterday was my grandson Tyler's 24 th birthday. I remember the day he was born and the nurse placing him into my hands. His tiny fingers circled one of mine and this shiver went up my spine forming a connection that we've never lost.  The tears spilled down my cheeks as I stared into his partially opened eyes and I knew that even though he wasn't my actual grandson, it wouldn't matter. I was the first grandpa that held him.

The title of this blog is because as Tyler was growing, his eating habits did not. He refused most baby foods and was extremely selective about anything that passed through his lips. Mac and cheese became his staple and no matter where he ate, that was it and nothing foreign could touch his plate or come in contact with his beloved mac and cheese.

I sat last night at the dinner table with him and watched him eat two barbeque beef sandwiches and a half slab of ribs. "Are you O.K.?"  I asked. "Grandpa, I've grown up, it just took me a little longer to try other things."  When he was younger he used to call me Crapaw which I accepted as a showing of love rather than me being full of it.

Today he's back in college and doing well. In a couple of years he will have a degree and start his adult life. At this time I believe that music will be a major part of his future since his drumming is better than good. Tyler, I want you to keep that wonderful smile and sense of humor, (probably learned from me) and become the best at whatever you decide to be. Always remember that your Crapaw loves you too much.



No comments: