Saturday, December 12, 2009

RONNIEISMS

CHANUKAH
Tonight our mixed family will celebrate our annual Chanukah party. Our family consists of Caucasian, Hispanic and African.  We are so blessed that our grandchildren and great grandchild can all celebrate together. Tonight is really the Jewish portion for gift giving, especially to the young ones. Most of them will still have their Chrismas parties which means the kids will again have a gift unwrapping day.

Growing up as a child in Chicago with grandparents from Russia we never would imagine a Christmas party and never a Christmas tree although we really felt a little cheated when we visited our non Jewish friends.

Those mixed families called their tree a Chanukah bush and as long as the Christian ornament was not present it was OK. I remember our traditional family celebrations where (on my Mother's side) the entire family would get together, eight children with their families, these are wonderful memories. All the kids at one table and the adults at another. I remember that I sat with the adults after my Bar Mitzvah , since I was then a man.

All of the old family are gone except for a couple in their 90s, two widowed aunts and now the first generation Americans celebrate with their children and grandchildren. I believe that I'm the first of that generation to have a great grandchild that will carry on the SHAPIRO name. He's not being raised as Jewish since my grandson converted but I'm alright with it. As long as he believes in something. Most of our family have all married outside of the religion so acception is easy because we have strong feelings between us all.

I'm sure that my parents have turned over quite a few times in their graves and by now are again facing up. They lived in different times when divorce was an absolute no, no and marrying a gentile was frowned upon. When my uncle married an Italian girl my Zadie thought the world was coming to an end. After a short time he got over it and everything returned to normal.

To me family is everything, regardless of skin color, religion or hair color. Tonight will be a joyous occasion even though my son Mike won't be in attendance. For his own reasons he cannot find the time to participate in family functions. I miss him very much especially since his grandson will be there tearing open packages with all of his cousins.

I will think of the family that are all gone and the great memories we  shared. It's one of those times when I cry for the joy of today and the memories of the past. We light the second candle for "The Festival Of Lights" celebrating the eight days the candles burned at the dedication of the temple in Jerusalem. I pray that the light shines on our family forever.

Can't wait to eat those latkes!

My Mom is the bright eyed one on the left. Passport photo is when they came to the US in 1921.

No comments: