Monday, December 7, 2009

RONNIEISMS

IS IT IN OUR GENES?
I think it started with our cousin, the Nebraska professor. He published a few books, one of which was basis for a movie. Then my niece wrote her book "Tiny Ladies in Shiny Pants". Then my sister wrote the Chicago Tribune 2006 award winning memoir "The Division Street Princess". Yours truly, earlier this year published my memoir "Making Happy" and last but definetly not least our cousin has illustrated a children's book. He's having a signing here in Kansas City at the Barnes and Noble store in Oak Park Mall on Dec. 13th at 3pm. I hope that many of my friends will show up. It's absolutely beautiful, what a talent. My sister has also written her second book, I believe the title is "She's Not The Type".

My nieces Jill and Faith started their careers producing and directing their versions of THE REAL LIVE BRADY BUNCH  which was extrememly successful and gave them and some of their cast a start in show business. Faith started her professional career with SECOND CITY in Chicago and is still producing shows in the Boston area. Jill has become a producer and writer of quite a few hit TV shows and is presently the executive producer of THE UNITED STATES OF TARA.

 My above mentioned relatives are all educated people that have graduated with degrees in their chosen profession. My actual degree came from the U of HK, which I'm sure that you all know means the University of Hard Knocks. I really don't know what that means but I've heard it so many times in my life that it must be good.

My sister was very instrumental in getting me to write and finish my memoir and her help meant everything to me. I actually think that she got as much joy from my book as I did when it was finished. The pride in her voice actually brought tears to my eyes.


As I think back to our younger years, I remember my Father Irv was constantly reading. He read paper backs and I swear, I think he read a book a day. Keep in mind, TV was not the entertainment it is now. Our big day was sitting around the 5" TV watching the test pattern. While we sat and watched and waited, he read . I believe that if he had lived longer than his 48 years, he would have become a writer. So, thanks Dad for instilling in us the desire to read and to grow. I did, but my sister only got to 5 feet.

No comments: