Friday, January 1, 2010

RONNIEISMS

HAPPY NEW YEAR
New Year's Eve our small group of eight celebrated our subdued adult style evening. We started with a movie "Up In The Air" starring George Clooney. I thought, keep in mind the "I", the movie was OK, not great as expected and advertised but just OK. Again "I" thought it was not one of his best. After the film we went to dinner at Will Jenny's and had a great and I mean great dinner. Kevin, the owner should be very proud, the service the food, everything was perfect, including the price. No wonder he's a success, he has the great combination that makes his restaurant  a personal choice.

After dinner we went back to the theater to see "It's Complicated" a funny film. Only four of us went since the other four whimped out, past their bedtime I guess. While watching the movie I happened to glance at my watch and it was exactly midnight. I hugged, squeezed and kissed the lady next to me and luckily it was my wife. Afterwards we went out to a freezing 17 degrees and headed home.

Is it our age that satisfies our minimal need for partying as in the past when we would try our best to stay awake until midnight always planning to do enough to partake in sharing breakfast together. Over the past few years, I don't think we lasted too much later after watching the ball reach its destination.

We toasted to our friend Dave Blackman who passed away this week from a prolonged illness, of what I'm not sure. Dave was 83, he and his wife Sue were an integral part of our group that did everything together. We cruised together more than once, took driving trips and had Wednesday night dinners for almost 20 years. Dave will be missed and Sue will continue to be a part of our family of friends. I guess it just proves the adage that everyday is a treasure and you should enjoy it as best you can.

I had a nice experience last night during dinner. A couple that we all know came by the table and told me how much they both enjoyed my book and couldn't wait for the next installment, should there be one. I think I actually blushed from their praise or maybe it was embarrassment. My wife and I are really lucky. Besides having a great family we have wonderful friends, what more could we ask for? Winning the lottery wouldn't be so bad.

We start a New Year today and look forward to our tomorrows, enjoying what comes with our daily smiles and circle of friends. I know as long as I have my wife by my side, my life is complete.

No comments: