Wednesday, May 12, 2010

MY POOR ROYALS

It took me long enough but I've finally accepted the fact that my KC Royals are not very good. I hear all the talk about firing the Manager, the GM and replacing everybody. It's definetly not realistic to do such a thing but when and where does it start, to make a difference. My expectations have changed so that when I watch a game, I expect them to lose but still very happy when they win.

One of the main reasons I watch is because of a few of my favorite players such as Mike Aviles, Zack Greinke, Mitch Maier, David DeJesus and Billy Butler, who all of a sudden is hitting too many grounders into double plays, but he's hitting and driving in a few of our runs. I get a little upset when people in our media complain about his defense at first base. I think he's doing  better than just OK, hey, it's only his first full year at the position.

I'm not uptight anymore, if they lose, they lose, it's just a game. A game played by high priced professional athletes that get great money for playing a game. The strike year is when I stopped buying tickets after being a season ticket holder almost since the "A's" were here. I listen or watch every single game, it's rare for me to miss one. But, now with my new attitude, I don't throw things at the TV any longer.

I grew up in Chicago as a Cubs fan and spent many afternoons sitting in the bleachers cheering for my Cubbies. Today, I just follow them but I couldn't tell you one member of their team but my son Mike and Grandson Brad are devout Cubs fans. One of the best times I had in recent years is when my son took me to Wrigley Field for my 74th Birthday last year. It had to be one of my greatest days ever. Even standing at the urinal trough in the men's room that hasn't changed in over 50 years, being pushed and shoved along with hundreds of others just for a few moments of relief trying to keep my balance so as not to fall into the ever flowing yellow river. The Cubs won that game in the bottom of the ninth and I witnessed a capacity filled stadium singing and dancing for their Cubs. What fans, unbelievable.

Walking out onto the streets of Wrigleyville was yet another eye opener. You have to see it to believe it. Maybe someday our Royals will get that kind of adoration, hopefully in my lifetime when I'm still able to jump a few inches off the ground.

Next blog: Entering the fourth quarter.

No comments: