Sunday, May 11, 2014

IT'S JUST A GAME

I call it a game because it's something I enjoy. I'm fortunate to be able to play my game as part of my job of selling cars for Hendrick Toyota of Merriam.

Before going ahead, I want both of you that read my blog to think of somebody, family or friend, that may need a vehicle and send them my way.

Guessing my age is the game I speak of. I was blessed with my Mother's European heritage of looking younger than my actual age of 79 that happens this month.

As I try to form a relationship with my clients  and find out a little about them, the age thing comes up and when I tell someone, especially with white hair, that I'm older than them and they answer with "no way", the game begins.

Ninety percent of the time, I'm right, because I cheat a little. I've seen their drivers license. Some even attempt to bet me, which I never accept. It does create a sort of relaxed atmosphere and sometimes those people that may have come in with a negative posture about car salesmen, seem to become comfortable with an old man.

Once I get them smiling or laughing at one of  my corny jokes the selling process becomes a little more fun than one of combativeness. That's not to say they accept the first proposal but I believe any negative feelings they had when first coming in, disappears.

 Yes, I enjoy my job of selling cars, but what I enjoy more than anything else, is the ability to make people smile, everyday of my life, as directed by my conversation with the Almighty while backpacking in the Smoky Mountains, many years ago.

Not all of my clients purchase a vehicle from me but I know that those that do maintain a relationship with me and those that go elsewhere still call me to say how much they enjoyed working with me and actually apologize for going elsewhere. 

I always thank them for the call, but after hanging up, I chastize them under my breath. I guess they believe they're making me feel better by calling. They don't see me crying into a tissue.

This blog is short and not very informative but I'll try to do better in the coming months.

Please mark a box below. 



No comments: